Monday, July 6, 2009

Good Help is Hard to Understand


I don't have children, and chances are I never will. And while I can't completely fathom the bond between parent and child, I have to believe it's pretty deep. I mean, I have a dog, and I love that little bastard to death. So when I have to work late or go out of town, I always make sure he's in good hands. I investigate every kennel, and personally interview every dog-sitter. When it comes to the health and safety of my terrier, I leave nothing to chance. I imagine that with children, it's the same thing. Right?

So I can't help but question how thorough Holly's search for a babysitter was before she settled on Paulina. Do you think she interviewed anybody else for the position? Or did she just swing by the Home Depot parking lot and find herself a bargain? I mean, Paulina seems nice and all, but I'd think that fluent English would be one of the qualifications. What if little Lucy had taken a fall down the stairs and required a trip to the emergency room? Do you think Paulina could have given the doctors a full recap of the accident, much less any allergies or medical conditions?

I, for one, love Mexicans. Their food is good, their women are hot, and their tequila is strong. But on the other hand, I also love speaking English. Whether I'm trying to order a Whopper or trim my sideburns, I find it much easier to make requests in my native tongue. So when Paulina says things like "Hola, Mrs. Holly" it's kind of a slap in the face. I'll take broken English over fluent Spanish any day. But Holly gets the last laugh by hanging up without saying goodbye. Take THAT, slave labor! "What would I do without you, Paulina?" may or may not have been meant as a rhetorical question. I guess it's kind of irrelevant since rhetorical is a pretty big word for an illegal alien.

No comments:

Post a Comment