Sunday, August 9, 2009

Successful Women Make Terrible Wives

Don't get me wrong. I'm all about women in the workplace. There are plenty of women around my office, and I couldn't be happier. I mean the more they do, the less I have to. Let's face it, this isn't the 1950's anymore, and there's something exceedingly sexy about a professional woman who can carry her own weight. I, for one, don't have the patience to be any kind of breadwinner, and would not be intimidated in the least by a lady who brings home the bacon. As long as she's hot.

So let's look at the female protagonist in Die Hard, one Holly McCla... I mean Gennaro. We're never given the specific details of how she got this job, or the exact conversation that led to her moving all the way across the country to take it. So she grabs the kids, changes her name, hires some Mexican help, and then has the nerve to get mad at her husband for staying behind to tend to HIS job. So when he shows up at the Nakatomi Christmas party looking for a happy reunion, all he gets is a hard time.

So, fine. They don't exactly see eye-to-eye when it comes to balancing their romance with their respective professions. There are a lot of couples that have that problem. But what REALLY gets to me is how ungrateful this woman is. Sure, she gives him hugs and kisses after he risks his ass to save hers out in LA (never mind the Dulles Airport situation). But after that, she has the nerve to separate from him, god knows how many times, because he DRINKS too much? I mean sure, he took bullets, fists, shrapnel, and shards of glass to save her, but then he wanted to have a beer afterward? WELL, we can't have THAT, now can we?

So, if Holly has taught me anything, it's that I don't ever need to get married. If there's ever a hostage situation at MY place of business and I somehow manage to elude capture, the hell with trying to save anybody. I'm going the @#$ home and having a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment