Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Making light of national tragedies is okay, not at all inappropriate


Joseph Takagi is a helluva boss - well-liked amongst his employees, throws great Christmas parties, and is loyal to his company almost to a fault (and by "almost to a fault" I mean getting your brains blown out for not giving up the password to the company safe). And, like any good boss, he is not short on the humorous quips when making conversation with alcoholic estranged husbands, like John McClane. Note this exchange:

MCCLANE: You throw quite a party. I didn't realize they celebrated Christmas in Japan.
TAKAGI: Hey, we're flexible. Pearl Harbor didn't work out so we got you with tape decks.

I'm not quite sure what this joke means, but I am a high school dropout so I am not really surprised. I always thought the scene would have been better if McClane would have countered with:

MCCLANE: My grandfather got killed on the USS Arizona you jerk-off. I am going to rip out your f***ing spine.

That line totally should have been in there, but I am not that good at writing movie scripts. I wrote this one script about this German guy who was trying to impress some visitors at his company, so I stole a line from Die Hard and just changed the words:

VISITOR: You throw quite a party. I didn't realize they celebrated Christmas in Germany.
GERMAN BOSS: Hey, we're flexible. The Holocaust didn't work out so we got you with Volkswagens.

Needless to say my script got rejected. Who does this Spielberg guy think he is?

No comments:

Post a Comment